3 pound chicken
1 can beer
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons black pepper
- Preheat the grill for indirect heat, with one side on medium and the other off with a drip tray.
- Combine brown sugar, paprika, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Place about a teaspoon of the rub into the cavity of the chicken and rub another tablespoon into the skin on the outside of the chicken.
- Open the can of beer and pour half into a glass. Drink and enjoy.
- Pour the remaining rub into the beer. This will cause it to foam, so do it in the sink.
- Place the can of beer into the cavity of the chicken.
- Position the chicken on the grill using the legs and beer can to form a tripod to stabilize it vertically.
- Cook the chicken until juices run clear and no longer pink in the thickest part of the thigh, anywhere between 2 and 3 hours.
- Transfer to a warming plate and allow to rest for at least 15 minutes and cut into quarters to serve.
Makes 4 servings