1-1/2 cups whole milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
5 dark roast coffee beans
1/2 cup very strong coffee
5 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Bring milk, vanilla and coffee beans to a boil in a small sauce pan over high heat, then remove from heat.
- Stir in the strong coffee and chill in the refrigerator until cold.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Whisk together egg yolks, sugar and corn starch.
- Remove coffee beans from milk and gradually whisk it into the egg mixture.
- Pour the mixture into greased individual custard cups.
- Place the custard cups in a baking dish that can accommodate them and half fill it with water.
- Bake until the tops have crisped brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about an hour.
- All to cool to room temperature and then refrigerate before serving.
- Run a knife around the outside of the custard and flip it upside down on a plate or eat as is. Optionally garnish with a baked plantain slice, toasted walnuts and a drizzle of honey.
Makes 4 servings